We’re transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
About the Role
As Commercial Counsel, you’ll work closely with teams like business development, partnerships, engineering, finance, and operations to help solve thorny legal problems and enable the business to scale and grow. You’ll be drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial arrangements with partners including retailer, vendor, and partnership agreements.
You’ll also be providing sound legal advice to clients with respect to commercial terms, business operations, and product development. You’ll need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll your sleeves up and dig into tough legal problems to reach a creative solution.
We’re looking for an attorney who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with broad responsibilities. You must have the ability to operate independently and work proactively with various teams across the organization.
Every day we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customers that is absolutely magical. Join us!
About the Team
The Ads and Media Legal team is responsible for the supporting all of the product and commercial needs of the Instacart Ads platform and the Instacart marketing team. We provide high quality legal support with a deep understanding of the needs of the business units we partner with, with a focus on creative problem solving, efficient turnarounds and actionable advice.
About the Job
- Draft, negotiate, and implement major partner agreements, across all areas of the business
- Provide strategic and legal advice to your internal business clients
- Lead and take charge of special legal projects from start to finish
- Implement best practices
- Anticipate issues based on your thorough understanding of our business and products
- Remain up to date on relevant industry, advertising, consumer protection, IP, and privacy laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice
- Draft terms, policies, and disclosures, and create and implement related processes
- Track contract review requests and agreed-upon business terms in executed agreements
- Create and update our form legal agreements
- Train clients and colleagues on various legal issues
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for legal issues that may arise in the future
- A J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience working at a leading law firm or in-house legal department (in-house experience, especially at a tech company or retailer, a plus)
- Strong experience with legal issues affecting the Internet and e-commerce spaces, particularly privacy, employment, SaaS, and payments
- A strong history of managing strategic partner negotiations and contract drafting from start to finish
- Strong negotiation presence and the ability to lead teams working towards a goal
- Sound and practical business judgment and ability to manage multiple, high-priority, competing priorities
- The ability to provide clear, concise legal advice, work effectively cross-functionally to drive results
- A team player
- Experience in privacy and data security laws (including GDPR and CCPA/CPRA), healthcare law, pharmaceutical law, alcohol law, and/or payments law a plus
- Experience either supporting an internal marketing team or supporting an Ads publishing platform is a plus.
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.