Trilateral Research has an exciting opportunity for a Data Scientist with expertise in developing solutions for algorithmic transparency and fairness, Explainable AI, Data Ethics & AI auditing to join our Innovation and Research Team.
As Data Scientist for the iToBoS project you will support Trilateral’s commitment to deliver research services involving data science work, to build knowledge on technical topics supporting Trilateral’s products and to contribute to business development.
Our company and what we do
At Trilateral Research, we provide ethical AI solutions for tackling complex social issues, from human trafficking and child exploitation, citizen security in crisis to pollution and climate change. We transform research into innovation and sustainable impact, focusing our efforts where we can enhance societal wellbeing.
We apply rigorous, cutting-edge research when developing and accessing new technologies to ensure they achieve sustainable innovation and measurable impact. Our teams include humanities specialists, social scientists, data scientists, ethical, legal and human rights experts who work across the technology-social disciplinary divide.
What are your responsibilities?
- Ensure effective and timely delivery of data science tasks in the EU funded iToBoS project that is developing an AI diagnostic platform for the early detection of melanoma, in direct communication with project leads, managers and project partners. This will include:
- Carrying out research on AI ethical assessment, including evaluation of algorithmic transparency, bias and fairness and explainability
- Developing software solutions for quantifying bias, for ethical auditing of algorithms and for assessing algorithms’ explainability
- Collaborating with domain experts, social science and ethics researchers to integrate technological and quantitative outputs of the AI ethical assessment with qualitative ones.
- Write good quality, maintainable code.
- Collaborate with software engineers and data engineers to integrate data science solutions into products.
- Provide useful and clear technical documentation.
- Write technical reports, documentation, deliverables (including delivery of software, databases and demos).
- Work in an interdisciplinary sociotech manner, ensuring an understanding and engagement with data ethics, data privacy, data security and algorithmic transparency considerations.
- Contribute to writing successful, high-quality funding applications .
- Contribute to the team’s research activities on exploratory and innovative technical topics.
- Engage in inter-disciplinary projects and initiatives, involving successful collaboration and communication with other Trilateral teams .
- Mentor team members on project/subject matter expertise/general onboarding.
- Participate and support knowledge exchange efforts across all Trilateral technical teams.
What skills and experience you will bring to the role:
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including an ability to effectively communicate technical subjects across and outside the organization.
- Proactive problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong organization and planning skills.
- Shared values such as: Commitment to excellence, Knowledge sharing, Adaptability, Mucking-in, Trust, Respect.
- Relationship-building and influencing skills.
General Knowledge and Technical Skills:
- Demonstrable experience of completing data science projects and of independent contribution in leading data science work (from task ideation, selection of approach, innovative problem solving, etc.)
- Demonstrable experience in working on collaborative projects.
- Demonstrable experience with algorithmic transparency, bias assessment.
- Good understanding of statistics – hypothesis testing, p-values, confidence intervals, regression, classification, and optimization.
- Background knowledge of, and experience with, a variety of machine learning approaches, such as linear/logistic regression, SVM, random forests, and deep learning (ANN, RNN, CNN, LSTM, etc.) and evaluation methodologies.
- Good experience manipulating large data sets (structured and unstructured data) through statistical software or other methods.
- Excellent technical skills (Python and statistical and machine learning Python libraries – essential) including of code management (Git). Note: we use Python, SQL, pandas, scikit-learn, PyTorch among others.
- Demonstrable experience with technical/scientific writing .
- Good research skills.
- Ability and willingness to discover, use, and learn new technologies.
- Demonstrable experience and interest in the realization of ethical AI.
- Experience/interest working in collaborative EU-funded projects.
- Experience/interest in developing technical solutions in the medical imaging domain and/or for the health sector.
- Experience with proposal writing, particularly of EU-funded projects .
- Experience working with Amazon Web Service.
- Experience with developing code in production environment .
Required Education and Experience:
- 2+ years’ experience in data science in a working environment.
- Masters/PhD in a technical subject such as Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Data Science, or related subject.
What else do I need to know?
Our employment compensation package includes:
- Competitive salary
- Enhanced holiday entitlement increasing with service
- Company sick pay and family friendly pay
- Flexible working hours
- Remote working/working from home options
- Enhanced pension scheme based on service
- Continuous career development
Location: This position is open to candidates based in the Republic of Ireland
Start date: Immediate
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Hours: Full time
Contract type: 1 year Fixed-term employment contract
How to apply
Please submit both your CV and a cover letter, linking your experience to our requirements in order to have your application considered. References will be required prior to appointment and candidates must be eligible to work in the Republic of Ireland.
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates, regardless of their age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital/civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity. We are a Disability Confident committed and Living Wage employer.
At Trilateral Research, we value privacy and data protection rights. We have a longstanding data protection culture and promote robust ethical standards in data management and research ethics. Please read our Recruitment Privacy Notice in relation to our recruitment activities before submitting your application to work with us.