Bestow is a leader in the modern life insurance space. As both a direct-to-consumer destination and a leading enterprise SaaS provider, Bestow is on a mission to increase financial stability for everyone. We’re a series-C start-up with a remote/hybrid workforce offering work-life balance and equity to all employees.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Bestow insurance team includes the actuarial, underwriting, and operations teams that work with virtually every other team at Bestow. We work closely with our Enterprise partners to help launch and scale new insurance products using Bestow’s technology. This requires working closely with the revenue, product, engineering, and legal teams. We also work closely with the consumer team to develop insurance products and grow sales at BLIC (Bestow Life Insurance Company).
We seek a Lead Life Insurance Underwriting Analyst to join our fast-paced Underwriting Solutions team. You will have experience with SQL, Tableau, Python, business intelligence tools, KPI tracking, and data to uncover actionable insights. As a Lead Underwriting Analyst, you will help drive key strategic decisions within underwriting program design by leveraging a robust analytics framework and rich dataset of medical and behavioral risks. You will work with numerous departments within the organization, clearly communicate updates to business stakeholders, collaborate with team members, and implement individual projects. If all of this is in your wheelhouse, we would like to hear from you!
This is a remote position reporting to our Director of Underwriting Strategy.
YOUR DAY TO DAY
- Create reports and dashboards that communicate the story behind the data to key underwriting business stakeholders.
- Develop deep expertise in medical and behavioral data used in life insurance underwriting to segment risk and predict mortality.
- Conduct exploratory analysis with various datasets to uncover actionable insights to drive strategy and decision-making and communicate these findings with key stakeholders across the company.
- Monitor key KPIs across the company and build analysis to explain any deviations from expected thresholds.
- Write SQL queries that clean, join, and extract data from our data warehouse to assemble various types of analysis.
- Collaborate with the data engineering team to obtain access to needed datasets and develop a model for ideal data structure.
- Partner with the data science team to build datasets and predictive models
- Work closely with internal partners in analytics, product, engineering, customer experience, finance, and other groups to ensure data integrity and consistency in reporting
- 5 + years of professional experience in underwriting analytics, including experience in life insurance or medical data.
- You are proficient in SQL, Tableau, and Python and can juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Exceptional quantitative skills and fluency with data and its interpretation and impact on business strategy
- Strong communication skills and experience working with multiple team leads across the company.
- Great attention to detail and quality of work
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant years of experience
Competitive salary and equity based on role
Flexible PTO plan
100% paid-premium option for medical, dental, and vision insurance
Paid parental leave
Lifestyle stipend to support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing
Flexible work-from-home policy and open to remote
We are proud to prioritize the employee experience at Bestow and to see that awarded by our team members and the industry:
Best Place for Working Parents 2023
Great Place to Work Certified, 2022 + 2023
Built In Best Places to Work, 2022 + 2023
Fortunes Best Workplaces in Texas 2022 + 2023
Fortunes Best Workplaces in Financial Services and Insurance 2022 + 2023
Forbes Best Startup Employers 2022
Fortune Best Medium Workplaces 2022
Best Workplaces for Millennials 2022
We value diversity at Bestow. The company will hire, recruit, and promote regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. We understand the importance of creating a safe and comfortable work environment and encourage individualism and authenticity in every team member.