ALU provides higher education for a higher purpose. Our students declare missions, not majors.
They develop the real-world skills to take on the world’s most pressing challenges. And they take ownership of their learning from day one through our peer and student-led approach – because ALU believes in the power and agency of young people to start shaping the future right now.
Together with a world-class faculty and staff, our students are igniting a ripple of positive impact across Africa and the world.
Our mission is not going unnoticed. CNN described ALU — which has campuses in Mauritius and Rwanda — as “The Harvard of Africa;” Fast Company ranked ALU one of the 50 most innovative organizations in the world and the most innovative endeavor in Africa; and The New York Times recognized ALU as one of the eight places in the world “where history is being made.” Join us.
HOW WE WORK
As a high-growth start-up, the ALU Team works in starkly different ways to traditional academic bureaucracies. We approach education from first principles, empower individuals to design, test, and implement creative new ideas, and work closely together to craft transformative learning experiences. We are deeply passionate about our students and excited by the challenge of building something entirely new.
As a Data Director you will work directly under the supervision of the COO, in close partnership with the CFO, to manage the organization’s data strategy, ensuring data quality and driving business value through data analytics and governance. This position will be responsible for ensuring that the data in the organization and its main data hubs (Admissions, Registrar’s Office, Student Life and Finance) is accurate, complete, timely and can be queried to access historical data. This will include ensuring that the organization has end-to-end data channels based on the right systems and tools, that interact seamlessly with each other.
- Ultimate responsible for ALU’s data: Align data initiatives with organizational goals, and ensure the quality, timeliness, reliability, and availability of data
- Understand the data needs, processes and quality at any given point in time: what data is needed by the different stakeholders, what its quality is, where is originating, and how it is processed.
- Data governance: Establish and enforce policies, processes, and principles to acquire, manage and use data to ensure its quality and availability.
- Drive the implementation of the relevant tech systems to make data collection, storage and processing automatic and error-free
- Upskilling: Ensure that all the stakeholders involved with data at different levels have the necessary knowledge and skills to uphold the data quality standards.
- Define roles and responsibilities: Attribute roles and responsibilities to all the steps in the data processes
The ideal candidate for this position should have 7-10 years of professional experience, with a blend of consulting, data analytics, data architecture and tech skills. The position will require:
- Data and technology savviness
- Experience in managing senior stakeholders Stakeholder management
- Project implementation skills on aggressive timelines
- Structured thinking who is analytical and forward thinking
- Proactive, self-starter, able to work independently in a fast-paced environment