- We’re a SaaS scale up and one of the fastest growing tech companies in the North.
- There’s 100+ of us around the UK with our HQ in Leeds.
- Our software is award-winning and used by 100,000s of students at over 800 universities & colleges worldwide.
- We’ve been rated an outstanding company to work for by Best Companies.
- We’re growing so we can achieve our mission to support 1 million students to become better learners by 2026.
Glean are looking for a talented, passionate Software Engineer who wants to be part of a small, beautifully formed and growing engineering team. We are focussed on pragmatic delivery with quality at the centre of everything we do. We use a mixture of front-end (TypeScript, React), back-end technologies (JVM / Kotlin), and mobile (Flutter) technologies with an automated build pipeline (Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm). We are trusted by the business to own our technology stack and processes and repay this trust by delivering regularly and predictably. We aspire to be the best engineering team we can be, by constantly asking, “given what we know now, is there anything we should change?”.
Technology at Glean is a cross-functional function made of Engineering, Product, Product Marketing, User Experience and Data. This filters down to our product squads where we have at least one team member from each discipline working together to build the best product for our users and customers. You’ll be joining one of three stream-aligned squads; BEAR (Buyers, Evaluators, Admins & Resellers), Note-taking or, Learning (known internally as LEggs).
You’ll be managed by one of the Engineering Line Managers; Blake (tennis player, drummer), Bruce (makes the most of our remote policy, a man with a large vocabulary), Chris (good dog owner, amazingly organised), Colin (bass player in Glean Bandit, Pokemon wizard) or Mark (Nomad policy champion, Glean Pride organiser) who are all Software Engineers or Platform Engineers themselves. Heading up the line managers is Gwen, the Head of Engineering. If you want to know more about the Engineering culture at Glean, you can hear from Gwen on our Employee Spotlight blog!
As a Software Engineer your role involves collaborating in a multi-disciplinary squad to build, implement and support software that brings value to our users and customers while aligning to our Engineering Principles. Reporting to an Engineering Line Manager, your responsibilities include:
Responsibilities – Technical
- Craft clean and efficient code based on requirements.
- Create maintainable code.
- Focus on testability of delivered solutions.
- Integrate software components and third-party tools.
- Verify and deploy programs and systems.
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing software.
- Recommend and execute technical improvements.
- Learn and develop your technical expertise in areas relevant to Glean.
- Support releases as they progress through test environments to production (live) environments.
Responsibilities – Interpersonal
- Foster a fun, safe environment for engineering based upon trust, collaboration and respect.
- Mentor other engineers when you have domain expertise that they have yet to acquire.
- Passionate views, loosely held – argue your point of view passionately but be willing to accept that the needs of others or the group or the business may mean that other approaches are adopted.
- Assume we are all well intentioned and want the best for Glean.
- Strong programming skills (object oriented and/ or functional).
- Mobile technologies (we use Flutter).
- Persistence (mainly SQL, specifically PostgreSQL), some NoSQL.
- Knowledge of best practices in automated testing, continuous integration, automated deployment, code quality etc.
Not every one of the above is essential, but hopefully it gives an idea of what we find useful day to day.
£50,000- £60,000 dependent upon experience
🏖️ 33 days annual leave (Inclusive of bank holidays)
🎄 3 gifted days off at Christmas
🎓 Generous individual learning and training allowance
⌚ Truly flexible hours to suit when you work best
💻 Full home working set up and beautiful collaborative office space
🌴 Nomad working policy with family travel insurance
🍼 Enhanced 26 weeks maternity and 4 weeks paternity (fully paid)
🤍 Health cash plan (from glasses to massages)
💸 6% employer pension contribution
We have a beautiful office space in Leeds and we love it when we get together to collaborate in person. We typically operate a hybrid way of working, however some of our roles support remote working within the UK, if you live more than 50 miles from the office.
We will discuss ways of working with you at interview however if you have any questions before you apply please reach out to email@example.com
We’ll review your application and provide a response within 1 week. Even if it’s not the news you’d hoped for, we appreciate it’s good to know either way.
If we invite you to meet with us for interview, here’s an overview of what the process will look like:
- Screening interview with someone in our Recruitment team (30 minutes).
- Technical test via Github; you will have 1 week to complete the test when it suits you best. The test isn’t timed.
- Pairing exercise (1 hour) with a couple of Gleansters from our Engineering team.
- Final stage interview which includes a 1 hour culture and values interview, plus a 30 minute interview around your CV and experience. You will be meeting with the Lead Platform Engineer, Head of Engineering and CTO.
Ahead of your interviews you will receive a confirmation email outlining who you’ll be meeting and when, anything you’ll need to prepare in advance and any resources we think you might find helpful.
Here are a few further resources:
Let’s connect! Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add you to our network, to keep you updated with any future opportunities we think you might be interested in.
We think it’s important that you understand how we use and handle your personal information, so here’s a link to our privacy notice. By submitting your application, you’re confirming that you’ve read and understood this notice.
Glean empowers learners with the confidence and ability to build useful knowledge in an age of information overload. Our inclusive learning technology is used by 100,000s of students to gain 21st century learning skills with a proven note taking process. We aim to reduce waste by helping learners to get more value from working with spoken language.
Our mission is to challenge how the world thinks about learning so that it’s more accessible, productive, and purposeful for all learners. Join our values-driven and growing team if you’re excited by our goal to change a million lives for the better.