It’s been a superb few years – 78 years to be precise – since Abraham Maslow revealed his paper “A Idea of Human Motivation” and launched us to the ‘Hierarchy of Wants’.
Chances are high you’re already aware of it, however it options 5 levels and is often stylized like a pyramid. Transferring from the underside to the highest, the levels theorized a human being’s motivation; psychological, security, love/belonging, esteem, and self-actualization. The idea was that the decrease wants need to be happy earlier than you’ll be able to transfer as much as attend to the wants of the following stage, and so forth till you attain the ultimate stage.
However as we acknowledged earlier than, it’s been some time. A lot about life, particularly working life, has modified within the final 12 months. Is it time to introduce a brand new hierarchy of wants that’s extra suited to not solely the twenty first century, however our present working scenario, and the state of recent recruitment?
Earlier than we dive in, let’s shortly recap the 5 levels of human wants (in response to Maslow):
- Physiological: This primary stage is about our most elementary wants like meals, water, and sleep
- Security: Are we secure? Are we wholesome? This covers every part from shelter to monetary stability
- Love / belonging: As soon as we’re secure and fed, how will we really feel like we belong in our personal lives? This could possibly be by way of relationships, friendships, and romantic intimacy
- Esteem: Then we begin to work on ourselves. This self-growth and constructing on our esteem occurs by way of standing, respect, and recognition
- Self-actualization: This last stage pertains to self-fulfillment which – in response to Maslow – says is exclusive to each particular person
Introducing: The brand new hierarchy of wants for working from dwelling in 2021
2020 noticed an entire overhaul of how we do our jobs, and the way companies work together with their workers. Final 12 months noticed us change face-to-face conferences with Zoom and desks with eating room tables. The working world has modified, and our wants have alongside it, with how we go about our jobs, the way in which we talk, flexibility, and methods to enhance productiveness. One factor that hasn’t modified although is our need to reach our careers.
Now in 2021, mid-pandemic, many companies at the moment are in full work-from-home mode whereas persevering with to go about their day, conducting conferences, recruiting new employees, and pitching for brand spanking new clients. With all that in thoughts, enterprise safety options supplier, Professional Safety UK, thinks it’s time for a brand new hierarchy of wants:
- Working gear: To do a job correctly within the digital age, your gear must be top-notch. Meaning no web outages, no pc crashes, or defective gear. These are the fundamentals.
- Safety: All of us want, and all deserve, to really feel secure no matter the place we do enterprise. Which means that our premises – wherever which may be – must be protected effectively with issues like electrical gates, driveway safety bollards, and CCTV, and many others.
- Security and hygiene: If 2020 has taught us something, it’s that we must always by no means be complacent in the case of hygiene, particularly in an enclosed workspace. As we (hopefully) transfer forwards out of this pandemic, companies might want to have up to date well being and security insurance policies that mirror hygiene and social distancing finest practices. If house is your work – whether or not it’s non permanent or everlasting – preserve your hygiene requirements excessive.
- Workforce tradition: Don’t neglect about your folks. Workplace banter and inside jokes are straightforward to maintain alive whenever you’re multi functional place, however with most individuals working from dwelling, it’s extra necessary now to maintain that workplace tradition alive and effectively. Use the web and digital means to your benefit.
- Profession success: Simply because we’re working from dwelling doesn’t imply our ambitions have been placed on maintain. All of us have a have to really feel valued, and that features in our careers. Make sure that your workers’ progressions are nonetheless on monitor, in order that they have one thing to work for.
By Sam Levene at Expert Security UK.